Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Starting a Book Club

So I have this fantastic idea to start a book club.  As a stay-at-home mommy my conversations are fairly limited to pee, poop and nap time topics.  I thought this would be a nice way of getting in some adult conversations that have absolutely nothing to do with the previously mentioned topics.

So I am thinking of starting with Steinbeck ~
The Pearl
Of Mice and Men
The Grapes of Wrath
East of Eden
Cannery Row
The Winter of Our Discontent
Tortilla Flat
(Not necessarily in that order)

From there move on to Jane Austen ~
Pride & Prejudice
Persuasion
Sense & Sensibility
Emma
Mansfield Park
Northanger Abbey
(Again not necessarily in that order)

Not sure whether to stay on the classic literature kick or try out some contemporary works.  I'm also not sure how long it should take to read each book.  I know how long it takes me on average to read a book, usually a week or two. 

Would that work for a book club?  Should I allow for more time?  These are questions I haven't been able to work out on my own.  Maybe once I get this book club up and running these things will work themselves out.

I shall definitely keep you posted as to the book club developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment