Monday, April 8, 2013

Favorite Cruelty-Free Foundations

This post has taken quite some time, money, and testing to happen. After making the decision to transition to cruelty-free products, which I'm still struggling with, foundation seemed to be my "Moby Dick." Part was due to companies I loved recently changing their status from cruelty-free to not cruelty-free and part was due to not being able to find cruelty-free foundations that I was impressed with.

After much search and wasted money I have finally found three liquid foundations that have really impressed me. I would like to state that these foundations work with my skin type, which is normal to dry/sensitive. I think that one, maybe two would work for normal to oily but I don't feel that any of the three would work for oily to very oily skin. Two are drug store foundations and one is from a natural skincare and makeup company.

For a time, I didn't think I would find a natural foundation that impressed me. Most foundations were the typical loose powder mineral foundations and I just don't like the mess. I've found that I just prefer the way liquid foundations perform. The natural foundation I found is from a company called Lavera Naturkosmetik, Natural Liquid Foundation in the color Porcelain 01. Check out http://www.lavera.com/lavera-products/organic-makeup/foundation-concealer-face-powder/lavera-natural-liquid-foundation.html for more info.
This foundation covers beautifully with a medium + coverage. It has Argan oil, organic blossom butter, and vitamins A, C, and E. It gives a very natural even finish to the skin. This does not provide a matte finish, slightly glowy but like a fresh after a facial glow not shimmery or glittery glow. Since this is a more moisturizing formula, I feel it works best with a primer. I did feel some shine going on after about 3-4 hours of use & needed to touch up with powder but didn't look greasy just some shine. Since I'm a mom & am constantly on the go, I find that I need to touch up a little more often. The real downside I see to this foundation is the color choice, there are currently only 4 choices. The color I wear is the lightest color & matches my skin as perfectly as any foundation I have ever found. Great for me! But if you are very very fair, truly porcelain, this may still be a bit too dark. This is also the most expensive of the three foundations, retailing for $26.00. Not super expensive but probably as much as I'm personally willing to spend on foundation.

The next foundation is from NYX, found online and at Ulta, called Stay Matte But Not Flat. Long name, great foundation. This is described as an oil free, water based, full coverage, matte finish foundation. Again, I would catagorize this as a medium + coverage foundation. There is also a pressed powder form of this foundation that I would compare to MAC's Studio Fix Powder with not quite as much coverage.
I have this foundation is the color Nude, which is for light skin with golden undertones. This color is a tad too yellow for me, I think the color Natural would suite me better, however it's not a terrible match I can still wear it and have it look like it matches my skin. The Nude color will work for me better in Summer when I tend to get a little more color from being at the beach more often. What I love about this foundation is that it is one of the only "matte" foundations I can wear as a dry-skin girl & not look crackly on my skin. Most matte foundations end up looking horrible on me. I feel like this is a great foundation for just about any skin type except very very dry, but you would really have to give it a try to know for sure. The one downside I have found with this foundation is that it will break down pretty badly at the end of the night even with a primer. After the breakdown begins, it starts to just feel kinda icky on the skin. If you plan on going out late with this, you'll have to re-do your foundation before going out, otherwise it won't hold up. Otherwise, with a $7.49 price tag, this is an amazing foundation with 15 color choices!

Lastly is my absolute favorite new foundation! I have to say I was a bit skeptical whether or not this foundation could hold it's own against more expensive foundations out on the market, due to it's $3.99-$4.99 price tag depending on which store you purchase it from. My new holy grail of foundations is Wet 'N Wild's Coverall Cream Foundation.

This is a relatively new foundation, I think it launched at the beginning of this year. I honestly didn't think I was going to fall in love with this foundation but I have. This foundation has a thicker consistency than the other two I've mentioned but feels light as air. It again has a medium + coverage with a satin-matte (my favorite) finish. I absolutely love the way this looks on skin, so beautiful, so clean, soft-focus, and looks completely airbrushed! Put some primer on before this and it's not budging for the day. I thought I may get the same breakdown by the end of the day like the NYX foundation, but I found that this foundations wears much much better. I really can't say anything bad. I wear the color 816 Fair/Light and will probably upgrade to 817 Light during the Summer. There is one shade lighter in 815 Fair and a total of 7 shades. Not a bad range, but nothing dark enough for any ladies of color the darkest shade being 858 Tan. The only real criticism I have is the spout that the foundation is squeezed out of is a little large, so it's easy to squeeze out too much. I found a little goes a long way with this foundation, so it can be easy to waste product unless you use a gentle touch when squeezing product from the tube. For the price and quality, I feel like this beats out just about any popular "high end" foundation on the market at either Ulta or Sephora.

No comments:

Post a Comment